Friday, March 8, 2013

Disney Audition

I guess I should start off by clarifying that while I did indeed go to an audition today for Disney, it was in no way, shape, or form an entertainment audition.

Last week I went to the info session for ILT (Instructor Led Training) and basically encompasses a LOT of the training classes that are taught here at Disney World.  However, I will specifically be teaching the CDS class (the computer system that is used most in my department) (assuming I actually get the job).

In the info session they mentioned we'd have a script to memorize for the audition.  They told us not to worry, that the script would only be 23 pages long.  Immediately, I was reminded of Safaris.  "Oh good," I thought to myself, "I think the Safari script was more like 28 pages..."  Then I realized they were only joking.  The script was two pages. Also, I'm a little bit blond sometimes.

So, I memorized the script and practiced on my roommates and today was the big day.  The audition part went well... at least that's what I'm telling myself.  I didn't expect to make them laugh as much as I did.  Part of me was grateful that they were so entertained, but part of me was worried because my audition was a lot more relaxed and "silly" than the two girls who went before me.  Theirs were well rehearsed, but much more formal. I have a lot of trouble coming across as all business-y.  I take comfort in the fact that I don't think Walt Disney was a terribly serious man.

Anyway, then we did the panel interview part.  They sent us all out in the hall to wait and then came and called us one at a time.  I felt like I was in a doctor's office.  After the first two went in, it was my turn.  "Dianna?  We're ready for you."  Just like a doctor's office.  As I went in, I kid you not, the main interviewer told me, "Don't worry.  This will be quick and painless."  I couldn't help but just start laughing.  "Oh no, I am at a doctor's appointment!"

They asked me about CDS and quizzed me on random system questions.  They listened to how I explained priorities and rotation bumps.  Then they asked some general teaching questions. 

"What would you do if the computers suddenly broke on you in the middle of class?"  Well, would I have a white board and marker?  They said yes.  I'd draw stuff on the board and explain things the best I could that way.  One of the interviewers  responded, "Orrr, you could try to get the system running again, right?"  "Oh yeah.. that..."

Her answer was so much better than mine I just wanted to melt.  Then I just had to tell them, "Well, in my defense, I just came back from teaching English in China.  When my computer system went down there, I couldn't get it working cuz it was all in Chinese.  And I had to improvise because I had 40 six year olds who would start running down the hall if I looked away from them for a second!"  Then they laughed.

Ah well.  I hope it went well.  Now for the waiting game!

No comments: