Thursday, March 19, 2015

Peaches

I talked to a girl named "Peaches" on the phone yesterday.  I said her name out loud and the people around me in the call center started snickering.  It was all I could do to not laugh as well. I'm basically a terrible person.  But really, who names their kid "Peaches!?"\

I was taking out call ins the other day.  Disney has this new rule (started in October so I guess it's not really new anymore) where you have to call in at least thirty minutes prior to your shift or else you get a "No Call No Show" or "NCNS" notation on your record card (basically a nasty red X that looks really bad and stays forever).

Well many cast members decide that it's a great idea to wait until 32 minutes before their shift begins to call in.  Which would be fine, except that sometimes our department gets a backlog of calls and people sit on hold for five minutes before talking to us. And the rule is very specific in that you must be ACTIVELY speaking with a DA, calling in, more than 30 minutes prior.  NOT "you must dial the phone number" thirty minutes prior.

This rule has been cause for much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.  And also lying.  I can see when we have hold times, and honestly, our hold times are almost never very bad.  Two to three minutes at the max generally, if there's even a hold.  I had a guy the other day swear to me that he was on hold for "at least twenty minutes, so this isn't fair at all!"  Right.... okay.

Well my favorite excuse came yesterday.  The cast member called in 24 minutes prior to his shift claiming that, "My uvula was hurting earlier, so I couldn't speak to call in.  But it literally just starting feeling better just five minutes ago so I could finally call in."  Nice try there, buddy.  I told him to take it up with his manager if he wanted to fight it.  That is entirely possible that the manager will have sympathy for his uvula problems. 

And really, who am I to judge?  Maybe his uvula really was causing trouble.  Either way, my hands are tied. The union made me obey the black and white rules that were created, of course, by the union.

1 comment:

Mama said...

His uvula?! Hahahahh :0) What do you want to bet he doesn't really know what a uvula is and he just googled 'what problem would make it so I couldn't talk?' Ulvulitis of course!

Ah Dianna, always quick with the wit! ;)
Love you and miss you

xoxoxo
Daisy AKA Peaches