Monday, October 28, 2013

On Finding Success

There are two kinds of people in this world.  Or maybe I should say there are two ways to react to things in this world.

First, there are those who take things as they come and adjust themselves to accept the world around them.  When something bad happens, these people choose to be happy anyway.  They choose to accept life's challenges and continue on.  They have control over how they feel, for the most part, and are generally very happy people.

Then, there are those who make things happen.  They have an idea in their head on how the world should be and work hard to make it that way.  They will be quite angry if things aren't going the way they think things should be and absolutely hate not being in charge or having power.

Naturally, I'm the first type of person.  I prefer to sit back, take life as it comes, and when there's challenges just accept them (or ignore them).  The problem is, I'm learning, that this isn't necessarily the right way to live.  You don't get very far being the first type of person.  You just coast along in life until things happen to you.

The second type of person is the kind of person who changes the world.  Those are the ones who are leaders, scholars, doctors, scientists.  They find problems and insist on fixing them instead of just living life with them.

Of course, this can get to the extreme.  There are those who are never satisfied, always unhappy, and always wishing things would be different but their ideals of the world are simply wrong.  I guess it's necessary to have a happy medium.

Lately, though, I've been working on making my way to the other end of the spectrum.  I mean, I'm happy in life, I love my job, I love where I am... but I've decided that maybe it's not enough.  And I've learned that the people who are most successful are the ones who open their mouths and say what they want and then work for it with all they have.

I hope I articulated this correctly.  It's hard to turn my brain into words sometimes.  But there you have it.  Two types of people.  Let's find the happy medium in between.

No comments: