Friday, December 23, 2011

Gonna Miss These Guys

I see animals doing really silly things on the safari.  Believe it or not, an animal pooping is not the most interesting thing out there.  It's sad that, when I think the animals are being adorable, the guests hardly even notice.

For example, where the okapi is, there's a giant log on the ground.  The other day I drove through and the log was covered in maybe fifteen vultures lined up on it.  And then the okapi was pacing back and forth in front of the birds.  I almost died laughing.  Seriously, it looked like the okapi had recruited the vultures to help with some secret mission.  Or some creepy animal ceremony...

Okay, so maybe I have done too many safaris.

Then there's the pelicans.  They seriously look like they're doing yoga sometimes!  Like, this one stands on one foot and stretches the other out in the air.  When it does that, it opens it's wings out, I assume, to keep balance.  It looks literally like it's doing yoga.  I actually mentioned that on a safari the other day and the lady behind me laughed and agreed with me.  Yes, I appreciate that one guest who laughs at me.

The hippos talk quite a bit and it's like a bunch of grunting.  But today I got to do an empty safari (miraculously, seriously I thought I'd never get to do an empty round again cuz we've been so busy, but surprisingly today we were dead).  I came around to the hippo and she started grunting and for the first time it sounded like she was laughing!  Seriously.  She started laughing at me and then splashed in the water a bit and laughed again.  They've done this many times before, sometimes splashing with each other, but it's never sounded so much like laughter before.  Now I'm going to be looking for it...

The flamingos just crack me up too.  The thing about the flamingos is that they (and the crocs) are pretty much the only animals we can pretty much guarantee will be on every single safari.  So I always have that part of the ride exactly memorized and it's just boring.  But then lately I've noticed how silly the flamingos are.  I mean, they've always been super noisy.  But they "fight" too.  And they chase each other which is stinking adorable.  This one always is showing off it's wings, and sometimes it'll open it's wings and just run around in circles.  I've seen it do that like three times now and it always cracks me up.

Jabali is always funny, too.  The baby elephant.  Seriously, just exactly like a little kid.  He just has to be the center of attention.  Although the older he gets, the less he runs around which is kind of sad.  He plays with Luna all the time, though.  The two of them are always rolling around on the ground and pushing each other.  It's so funny to see Jabali try to push Luna with his trunk because he's like half her size.  Adorable!  The other day Luna tried to climb over a big log and got stuck, so Jabali came up behind her and was trying to push her the rest of the way over.  So stinking adorable.

One time I came around to cheetahs and saw one standing on the rock so I pointed her out.  "Hey look!  There's a cheetah!  And it looks like it's about to jump somewhere!  Let's watch her jump!"  Nope.  She wasn't about to jump.  She just needed to relieve herself... definitely the funniest time I've ever seen an animal take a poo because my entire truck laughed at me.

I did a safari a while ago and a few trucks up ahead got stopped for an ostrich.  So as we waited I told my guests we were stopped for an ostrich and talked a bit about ostriches to fill in the silence during our wait.  Then, we went back on the move and shortly thereafter found the ostrich.  The guy sitting in the first row had his little two year old sitting on his lap and as we came around the ostrich he proceeded to say to his child, "Wow.  That is one ugly animal!  Can you say ugly?  Yes, see, this thing is what we call ugly. Yuck!  That thing made us stop.  Look how ugly it's face is."  I had to turn off my mic and wipe the tears from my eyes trying not to laugh.

I'm gonna miss these animals.  A lot.  The people make me laugh too.  Like the other day a woman asked me how to tell if the giraffe was male or female.  My response?  "Umm, the same way as a human?"  The whole truck cracked up.  I since have been told that male giraffes are darker in color... meh.  Whatever!

I'm gonna miss this job!  I'm going to miss trying not to laugh so many times a day, and failing at not laughing just as many times throughout the day.  Seriously, sometimes just what I hear on the radio makes me laugh.  I love it!

Ohhhh, my life is so awesome!

No comments: