Thursday, June 23, 2011

Group Dynamics

I have been dreading taking this class since a year ago since I first enrolled in it and then dropped after being killed by the workload the first week (it was the semester after I took 21 credits, and I didn't feel like pulling that off again).

Our group of 6 had a meeting set for yesterday at 3pm. The meeting time had been planned for almost two weeks in advance. It was absolutely vital that every single member of the group be present for the meeting. Nothing could happen if we weren't all six there.

One girl forgot... happened to be the same one who didn't respond when we all gave each other our phone numbers. Another had an emergency where her car broke down and she couldn't make it.

I'm not the group leader, but for some reason everyone was calling/texting me wondering what to do. I got in touch with the group leader and asked her to send an email telling everyone to meet during out backup time, which was 8pm.

Except another person in our group had planned something during our backup time assuming we would all meet at 3pm as planned.

So now we're all scrambling around at the last second figuring out times and having issues with people not responding, answering phones, being unavailable, and generally being frustrated with one another. I passed the scheduling of the meeting off the Jessica, the group leader, and let her know that I have 100% availability (one of the good things about having only online classes). I really hope she can figure this out and I'm extremely glad that my two weeks of leadership is over and went smoothly.

Gotta love group projects! Especially when dealing with people across the country!

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I'm so proud that my little girl is learning the really important lessons in life. BTW, I have a fantastically appropriate little green button that my daughter got me in Disneyworld, featuring Scar from the Lion King. You press it, and it elegantly and succintly explains the root cause of 99% of the world's problems.