Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Systems Day

It's getting harder and harder to blog regularly because of all the awesome stuff I want to write about, but either can't or don't want to.  Laaaame.

Anyway, a lot has been going on these past few weeks too with my brother getting married and then friends visiting.  Now, life is finally back to normal and I have not one, but TWO Safari shifts this week!  The awesome thing about working at Safaris on my day off is that it doesn't even feel like work anymore it's so much fun!  Doing it every day, day after day, for weeks and months at a time got a little old.  But now, it's so much fun to do every once in a while.  To go see my friends, remembering my facts about animals, meeting the guests again, oh my gosh I LOVE it!

This past Friday we had a switch out of the norm as well.  Instead of a normal schedule, I had an eight hour "systems day" on my schedule, as well as a six hour shift after that.  Loooooong day.  At Systems Day, they brought in people from around the Company who created a lot of the computer systems we use, or at least were incredibly knowledgeable about them.  And they taught us more about them and answered questions and such.

I'll be honest, before the CDS people came in, I had a bad attitude about CDS.  It's a great program, and certainly does a LOT of different incredible things.  In fact, it already amazes me at what it can do.  But in February, just after I came out of training, they "updated" it. And this "update" ruined a lot of random stuff and it's been incredible annoying.  So, when the CDS lady came in, she may have even expected to be bombarded with the two hundred questions about "why won't this work, and when are you going to fix it!?"

She was extremely nice, though.  And then started to explain the details of what happens with CDS.  With computer programs, especially that detailed, you can't "just fix" something.  Biggest thing I learned at systems day.  It took about eight seconds of her beginning to explain how CDS worked and the tests they have to do to add a simple checkbox on a screen and I completely didn't feel bad anymore.  It's so ridiculously detailed!

And the good news is that they coming out with another update here in just a week or two.  Hopefully that will fix all the things that broke in the last update.  And they're undoing some of the things from the last update that slowed down CDS, because honestly, we would much prefer speed over just about anything.

Anyway, Systems Day was fun, and it made me efel smart and special to be in a conference room watching a powerpoint. :)

I love my job!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True -- you can't change one little check box and not have it affect everything else. It's tough to be a good programmer and most people are NOT good programmers. dubby