Monday, April 2, 2012

Tornado At Work

CDS died today.  Only for a total of about five minutes.  But it was probably the craziest five minutes ever.  CDS is the computer system that basically runs Disney, so when it dies, things go crazy.  Of course, Disney has back up plans and can still run without it... I've actually been in that situation before as a CM and am always impressed at our management's ability to suddenly cope without technology.  Of course, it's much, much more difficult that way.  Literally as soon as it died the noise level in our department tripled and phones started ringing off the hook (we're apparently the CDS help line and everyone thinks if they call us we'll magically make it work... except that we're not IT)

My computer was also going unbelievably slow.  I mean, to extend a cast member, which normally takes me about a minute, too me almost ten minutes, and that's only because I finally just had the girl beside me do it on her computer because mine wasn't working.  Stupid computers.  Stupid computer systems.  So annoying.  The worst part is that they just put in this "upgraded" version of CDS.  But it's only been worse.  But I think it was just that computer I was on that was slow because when I switched computers the new one was much quicker.

The good part is that there are actually like five different computer systems we use and the others worked fine.  And then CDS was working again.  So all was good.  But it seriously felt like a tornado blew through temporarily.  Everything was just crazy.

In other news a new song played on the radio today.  I never know whether or not I should be excited when I hear a new song on the radio.  On the one hand, I'm glad to hear something new.  On the other, I know that that new song will now be overplayed a million and a half times and I'll get sick of it and no longer enjoy it.

I'm eating chocolate again.  That's something else that's noteworthy.  My roommate and I went to IHOP today in celebration and I got chocolate chip pancakes.  Then I got chocolate ice cream at work and then Kim made the best homemade chocolate chip cookies EVER when I came home from work.  I consider it okay that I get to spend one day of my life eating all the chocolate I want after going more than 40 days without.  I'm glad I did it.  But I'm also glad it's over!

Anyway, it's going to be a fun week!  I can't wait for my brother's wedding!  And then some friends are going to be in town next week.  We made reservations at the Garden Grill at one point as well.  I'm definitely excited!  I love that restaurant.

2 comments:

dubby said...

Chocolate!

Do you think they just took CDS down to reboot? What time of day did it go out?

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Upgrades generally aren't.