Saturday, January 22, 2011

The... BIC

We had our first Chem lab of the semester yesterday. Basically, it was just going over safety. So the whole lab was basically our teacher lecturing us with things like, "Don't do this because something will blow, and you will die." "Try to do this, because stuff blows up, and you will die." Actually, a lot of her sentences ended with either explosions or death. I'm gonna like this semester!

The new building is open this semester and I'm super excited about it. It's called the BYU-Idaho Center and every single person I know doesn't like the name at all. What are we supposed to call it? The BIC? Really? Whatever. Anyway, there's an indoor track to go running on which is awesome! I way prefer running on a track than the treadmills I've decided because it's harder and I feel like I get more of a workout. There's a walkway (skyway? I don't know what the proper terminology is) from the old gym (the Hart) to the new gym (the... umm... BIC). So I can go to the locker rooms and change and not have to go outside to get to the track (we have to wear BYU approved clothing when we work out, and they just started charging for clothes this semester, too! Fortunately, I already had my own approved workout clothes).

Anyway, the BIC is an enormous building. It includes a giant conference hall thing that compares to the Conference Center in Utah. I think it's supposed to hold 15,000? I don't know how many the one in Utah holds, but I'm pretty sure ours holds somewhere between 14,000 and 15,000 people. Biggest room I've been in in my life!

They hold Devotional there on Thursdays so I've actually started going again! The past few semesters I've just been lazy and listened to it at home and I even (I can't believe I'm admitting this!) skipped a few times! It's a lot more fun to go now that we all fit in one room and it's huge and I almost always find someone I know. It's actually kind of funny cause now every Tuesday around 1:45 every single student on campus begins migrating toward the same building. Awesome!

Anyway, back to the exercise part. Because of this building's size, there's a lot of stairs so today after running I went up and down all the stairs a few times. Ugh, it kills my calves but it's so good afterwards! I like this new building.

Also, they moved the weights room and you have to go through a turnstile to get there. Ahhh, reminds me of Disney!

And in other news, we went to see the new-ish Narnia movie today at the dollar theater. It was actually really good. But surprisingly scary for just a PG movie.

And I think my roommates just turned on the movie Spaceballs. I haven't seen that in years! So yeah, I'm gonna go now.

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

The Schwartz be with you. Spaceballs isn't as funny if you haven't seen the first three Star Wars movies in the past year or two. "Ludicrous speed!"

The Sportspalais in Antwerp (where you saw Elton John in concert) holds about 18,000. I didn't know it, but the Antwerp Sportspalais is the second most attended arena in the world (behind Madison Square Garden), according to its Wikipedia entry. You're right... a building that holds 15,000 is a BIG building.

It probably won't be called the BIC for long. Either they'll name it after a church authority, or a donor who gives a million dollars to the university. It'll be called "Osmond Hall" or "Romney Hall" or "Eyring Hall" or something like that.