Thursday, April 9, 2009

Disney Story: Part Two

As you can see I'm still playing with this blog. Trying to decide what I like. Trying to pick out a good picture. I'm not really a fan of that big white blank spot up and to the right of this. It's easy for me to come up with pictures and ideas inside my head. It's moving them out of my head that's the problem.

Anyway, here's part two, including two days of writing.

March 12, 2009 9:30pm

Alright. I just took the interview. Wow. Just wow. I think it went kinda well actually. She asked me about my previous jobs. I tried really hard to smile the whole time, but my voice was raspy because I was nervous. Of course, she asked the typical question, why do you want to go to Disney World? I answered. I said I love the variety of it and the aura that it brings and their good values. Of course, in a much more professional way than that, though.

She asked me what my top three jobs were and I said Hopper definitely number one. And then numbers two and three I think were Quik-Serv and Attractions. I think… I had a hard time picking and the whole interview is kind of a blur now (my hand was shaking so hard I kept having to ask her to repeat the questions… I hope that wasn’t bad). Anyway, I mentioned creativity at one point and that made her happy. I asked two questions. One at the beginning about the pay (because she asked if I had a question…) and then at the end. I tried to ask about shadow opportunities; I’d heard about. But she said she couldn’t answer that.

I really really hope it went well. Most, almost all, the questions I prepared for she didn’t ask. The only one she did ask was “Why Disney World” and I had a good answer planned. I’m pretty upset that even though I smiled I know it didn’t sound like I smiled because of my raspy voice. I was happy, but not too perky. Crossing my fingers. I’m not gonna let myself bug me about it for a week now. The end.


March 17, 2009

Wow, did you really think I wasn’t gonna let it bug me? I at least went 24 hours without mentioning it but, seriously! I still can’t get the darned program off my mind. I want the letter to hurry up and get here so freakin’ bad!! I haven’t started checking the mail yet, though. I know the day I start checking the mail, however, will be the day I pretty much die.

I don’t know if it’s because of the program, or because my brain cells are dying.

Our internet is out so I can’t waste my time on disboards.com, my favorite website at the moment. So I guess, technically, I should be working on my homework. I have to study for Humanities and American Heritage and I have to write a paper for Comm 111. But no, I’m here, obsessing over Disney.

My eye popped again today. You know, like the vessel in your eye that pops when you’re stressed or something. I’m out of milk, and most of the food I have requires milk, so that’s sort of a problem. Okay, maybe not most per se, but a lot of it.

So some more stuff I learned about Disney today and some things I’m obsessing over:

The check in date that I think would be ideal for me is August 10 (my oldest brother’s 26th birthday, incidentally). The earliest day to check in. I think the other dates are 12, 19, and 24. But I don’t think I could handle another few days. Apparently the first few days after check-in are the most fun. The first day you check in, get your housing card thing, a packet of informative materials (bus schedule, rules for the apartments, etc.) and then unpack. On the second day is “Traditions” or orientation or something. They have something like a four hour session or something telling you about Disney’s history and stories and all that. Apparently some games are played too. That’s also the day you can sign up for classes (I won’t be taking any, though, because my school won’t give me credit for them and it would take away from time I could be earning money). It isn’t until the third or fourth day that you actually begin working, however apparently you’re paid for the informative sessions and training. The third/fourth day you begin to train and apparently training lasts like five to seven days depending on the job. Then you get evaluated and then you’re on your own.

Keep in mind this is all info that I’ve read from other’s experiences and the websites and all. So it may be different. What I’m most excited for is how nice and apparently new the living quarters are. Apparently there’s one bathroom for every two people, regardless if you’re in an eight person apartment vs. a two person apartment. The closets are walk-in closets and we get a dishwasher. We also get a balcony. Each room is bigger than the rooms at Riviera plus there’s even more room in the kitchen for a pantry. Each bedroom has a mirror over the dresser and two nightstands. I’m so excited. Outside there’s a pool, with a hot tub as well as basketball, tennis, racquetball, and tons of other courts/fields. Oh my GOSH!!!

Transportation is free, however it’s by bus and you have to deal with the bus schedules. People tell me it’s better to bring a car if you have the option because then you’re everybody’s best friend immediately. So I’m gonna have to try to talk my parents into a car….. hmmm…

Because I go to BYU-Idaho, apparently I have a higher chance of getting in. However, once there I’ll probably be staying at Chatham and with a bunch of other BYU students, whether they’re from Hawaii, Provo, or Idaho is just mixed. It would be so cool to meet someone from Hawaii though!

I did the math and decided to make it my goal to make at least $3000. That should be easy if my math was right. Assuming I’d be able to pick up hours and get around 45 each week. I could pay the rent as well as spend $40 a week on food (which I go between $30 and $35 here, so it shouldn’t be too hard) and still have waaaay more than $3000 left. So I think I’ll be able to handle it financially.

I’m so the luckiest kid in the world! Although, I really need to keep in mind the fact that I HAVEN’T BEEN ACCEPTED YET!!! I really haven’t. So I could be obsessing over nothing. Either way, I’m gonna apply next year no matter what, so maybe I’ll just whip out this paper next year if I can get in then. I’m not gonna say it’s my life’s goal to work at Disney World. I’m trying really hard to keep a level head about. I might not get in, and that’s okay with me. It’ll be easier to take since I’m not telling my parents about it. So I need to try and stay on the page. I also lowered my chances because I was so late to sign up. Oh well. I’m still wishing myself luck and am pretty sure I have another at least two weeks to wait. Hopefully I know before April Fools’ Day though! Teehee!!

No comments: