Monday, April 18, 2011

Random Thoughts on Stress and Vacations

Sometimes I look back at my time spent on Disney and remember the nastiest people I encountered. I wonder, sometimes, if they realize the impact they had on me and my life. I wonder if people realize how much it hurts to have a stranger scream in your face when you're simply trying to do your job and keep everyone safe. I remember the lady who attacked me and the man who held up his fist threatening to beat my face in. Do they realize, right now, today, the impact that had on me? How angry that made me feel, how my friends would go home crying, how horrible a position that put me in... either I get fired from my job or I get my face pounded. Thanks, dude.

I sincerely feel the majority of angry people I encountered were not always such horrible, beastly jerks. They were probably perfectly decent people who were under a lot of stress with screaming children and more expenses than they may have planned for this trip. They may have been working off only a tiny bit of sleep because they didn't want to miss anything. They may have been working so hard to make sure that their vacation was perfect, that they were causing their own problems without realizing it.

This is why I've officially decided that cruises are the best way to vacation. At all. Ever. When we went on our cruise, the only bit of stress I felt was getting to the boat early enough to eat lunch there! And the fact that one of Heather's bags made it to the room a few hours after the rest of our luggage and so we spent a couple of very nervous hours scared that Heather had lost her most valuable suitcase. Even then, Heather kept it together very well, and we certainly weren't angry, just scared. On a cruise, everything is paid for beforehand so there's no extra costs (unless you want to buy all the extras, but we had no problem turning those down). Also on cruises, all entertainment is pre-planned. You don't have to freak out making sure you plan enough time to get everything in. Everything is on one boat and everything can be done, easily. The whole point is to not stress and to relax. It's pretty much amazing!

Well, this next week will be the first time I've ever planned a vacation on my own, before, other than the cruise. And honestly, the cruise doesn't fully count since all we had to plan was how to get there and where to park. Heather and I are working together to plan this, and, fortunately, it's working out beautifully. We have our transportation, parking, lodging, food, and attractions planned. I'm hoping this won't be a terribly stressful vacation. Heather thinks we're going to do it for less than $150 a person. I'm thinking it's going to come out to more like $250-$300/person. That's still way better than the original figure I had, though, of $600. It's probably because we got more people to go, so more people to split the cost with.

Next Sunday (yep, Easter Sunday), Heather, other Heather, Whitney, and I will leave from Utah for Anaheim. We'll check into the hotel that night (already have reservations), and sleep. We'll spend Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday in the parks. We're planning on walking because a)our hotel is super close and b)we're not fully confident that we can get free parking at Disneyland. We have one or two (two I think, but that's Heather's job so I don't really know) nice dining reservations for dinner, but we'll be eating breakfast at the hotel and packing sandwiches for lunch (our room will have a fridge, too which is pretty convenient, plus we have a cooler for the car snacks). Thursday we're waking up early and driving back home. Whitney has a GPS which will be super convenient to have since I've never been anywhere that we're going.

I've preplanned my classes and today was spent figuring out exactly what work I have to get done before leaving and what homework will have to be done the day I get back. The beauty of online classes is that I'm going to be able to pull of something like this!

I, however, will be leaving Rexburg Friday probably. I found some people to go with me on the ride down so I can split the cost of gas. Thank goodness cuz it's like $35 to get to Provo in gas alone.

I'm super excited for this trip and hope to goodness that everything goes as planned. Can't wait til Friday!

No comments: