Thursday, April 21, 2011

What Do You Mean By "Text?"

I'm taking several online classes this semester. This week, being introduction week, has felt very overwhelming. But then again, the first week of school always feels overwhelming because you're introduced to the insane workload that will be posed all semester but it always feels like I need to get everything done right now. Especially since I'm going on a vacation next week.

Anyway, most of my online classes (and by most, I mean all) require me to take a syllabus quiz proving that I've read through the syllabus. Two of these classes had the same question on their syllabus quiz and that's why I'm writing here today.

The question was: This class requires text. True/False

Simple question, right? WRONG!

Neither class required a textbook. However, both classes had text within the course that needed to be read. Things like articles, bits from other books, stories, etc. etc.

On the first quiz, I interpreted "text" just as it is and answered "true." Because there was indeed "text" written on my page at that very moment. The answer was false.

So I went to the other quiz with the same exact question. I even checked the syllabus to see if it said anything about text. Then I took the quiz and answered "false." The answer was true.

This is just plain not fair!

2 comments:

dubby said...

My mom says "you can't win for losing." Since that makes no sense and neither does this, I think she is explaining your situation.

King Isepik said...

I think you should take them both to the professor with the offending questions circled and tell him/her that she needs to change one of them and don't leave until he/she does.

I'm confrontational that way, so it might just be me.