Monday, September 26, 2011

Pictures of the Safari!

I got to see a baby pelican yesterday!  I knew the birds were nesting, but I had no idea there were babies so as I pointed out the hippos and noticed a tiny little head peeking out of the nest to ask mommy for food, I kind of got really excited.  "And over there you can see a baby pelican sticking it's head out from the nest!  That is so cool!  I've never seen that before in my life!"  I don't think the guests believed me... you know, since I also told them we were in Africa and we were planning on a full two week safari.

For the record, that's a pink backed adult pelican in the photo above.  The babies are, obviously, much smaller and their beaks are tiny.  So stinking adorable. I wonder it the one I saw hatched that day...

Oh yeah, and we have hippos. :)  It's pretty cool when they open their mouths really really wide for a breath or yawn or something.  I feel bad when I'm coming around the corner and I can see one doing that, but the guests don't get to see it because as we come closer, they close their mouths and submerge.  Ah well.

Below is a sight that nervouses us safari drivers, but in the end is actually very, very good.  White rhino crossing.  This one is in the process of walking, so all is well with the world.  This just happens to be the exact same spot I was in just a few days ago where the rhino actually decided to stop, right there where this one is.  And he just stood there, looking around.  I seriously could just see my brother's attitude in him.  "Oh, am I blocking your truck?  Oh... goodness... I just don't know what I could do about it.  Maybe I'll just stand here acting totally innocent like I have no clue that I'm making the ride go 101.


 Some more white rhinos.  The one above actually did end up joining his family, so all was well.  You can also see what our trucks look like a little from this photo.  That truck coming around the corner from where we are is actually really, really good spacing on that driver's part.  Congrats to whoever that is. :)

 This is where I drove around once and found mom elephant with baby, sitting under the water right here with nothing but the tops of the backs and their two little trunks sticking above the water.  They were side by side and their trunks were intertwined with each other.  Cutest.  Thing.  Ever!
And on a totally separate note, this is my roommate Erica and I meeting our pal Chip.  Oh, and also Dale. Heehee.

1 comment:

dubby said...

I thought you weren't allowed to take pictures on the safari.