Sunday, October 23, 2011

DAK PAC

Yesterday I got to work PAC in Animal Kingdom for the first time ever!  I was actually supposed to work on Thursday, but due to scheduling issues and extensions and such, they ended up taking me (and all other Safari Drivers) off of the PAC team.  I was pretty bummed because I was so excited, but that just meant yesterday I was even more excited.

Working PAC in Animal Kingdom is just like I expected it from what people told me.  Everyone I knew who worked both said that DAK is way more relaxed and chill about everything.  It was true.  It made me realize just how ridiculously uptight MK was.  However I will say MK is more structured and better at PACtivities (entertaining guests before the parade begins).  In DAK, the cast members are nicer, more laid back, and happier.

I liked how the people who work the parade daily were actually very patient and kind to us new people.  Had we been in MK, they would have been talking down to us, gotten aggravated, and been overall just annoying to deal with. 

At one point, a little girl stuck her head out from under the rope.  Instead of running down there, screaming and calling to the girl to get back under there or else she'd die, the cast member quietly, calmly walked down to her and bent down to her level to explain that she needed to move back.  Very nicely.  Fortunately, the cast in DAK don't need to be such sticklers because the floats are much more manageable, less dangerous, and easier to drive.  In MK, the float drivers have a much harder time seeing guests in front of them so it really is a bigger deal if people go out in the road.

Anyway, just my opinion on the differences.  I can't wait to work PAC again.  I did have to upset some people when I explained that they weren't allowed to get to the Safari during the parade (they could, they just had to go way down and around out of their way, or they could wait the 10 minutes for the parade to be over, which is a long time for excited vacationers to wait).  However, I successfully kept my area clear and I basically completely owned that place.  I think everyone eventually understood.   I've learned to acknowledge the fact that people are upset about stuff.  Instead of, "No, you can't go through here it's closed." it's better to say, "I'm sorry.  I know it's inconvenient right now, but I can't let anyone through because the parade floats are moving and it's dangerous.  The parade will be over soon, or if you'd like you can walk around."  People are a little more likely to not yell.

Anyway.  Good times. :)

Today I had more training.  We got to walk through Africa and learn all kinds of things about our town and it's history that I didn't know before.  Really, really cool stuff.  I love how Disney constantly has training for it's employees.  Absolutely love it.

Anyway, I'm hungry so I'm grabbing dinner.  Meatloaf!  Mmmm. :)

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

So I take it from context that PAC stands for Parade Audience Control or something like that? Or maybe, Parade Access Closure? People Acting Callously? Pretty Annoying Children? Pipsqueaks Angering Castmembers?