Friday, October 7, 2011

On The Truck... Day 43-ish

I often look in the mirror at my guests as I drive my truck.  Obviously, that's a good thing to do, I make sure the guests are staying seated and sometimes when I tell them there's an animal in a certain direction I like to see how many are listening (or how many actually understand English).  It's also nice to watch in my rearview mirror for the direction people are watching in case they spot an animal I don't.  When I see several of them looking and pointing in one direction I try to look too to see what they see.  It's very rare that they actually see something I don't, and sometimes it's an animal that's so ridiculously difficult to see I don't even bother mentioning it.  I refuse to mention some animals that are near impossible to see because when the majority of my truck can't see it, it's just a let down for everyone.  But I digress...

So my story for today.  I was showing everyone the Thompson's Gazelle's to the right.  And the Patterson's Eland, also to the right.  As I talked about them I glanced up in my mirror to notice a woman on the front row.  She had a really nice, big camera, and while everyone was looking to the right at the animals, she was quite obviously taking pictures left.  I looked left again, to make sure I hadn't missed an animal.  I had already scanned that area, but hadn't noticed anything.

Finally, just as I noticed a single animal over there, I heard the woman's voice confirm the animal she saw.  "Brandon, look over here!  A squirrel!"

She was taking pictures of a lonely squirrel hanging out on the grass as I pointed out the very obvious (and numerous) animals to the right.  I had to turn off my mic from fear of them hearing me laugh.  Totally awesome.

A random manager got on my truck halfway through the day.  I literally had no idea who this woman was.  I had never seen her before, she didn't say a word to me, and she left before I could talk to her.  I'm hoping it was a good thing she did my safari.  Unfortunately, while she was on my truck, we had an animal stop.  Just as I approached lions an ostrich walked right in front of my truck.  I stopped my 10 feet away, but then it walked right up to the truck so it was literally inches from the front of my truck.  And then it just stood there.  Staring at me.

Fortunately, with every animal stop I've ever had, my guests have been great sports.  Everyone was laughing and making jokes.  We were stopped long enough to make the ride go down.  Animal programs actually had to come out an move the ostrich.  I was totally honest with the guests as the truck pulled up, "So, I have no idea what's going to happen here, but I can tell you we should be on the move shortly."  I told them all the information I knew about ostriches and all I knew about lions, since both lions were up there.  It was one of the most fun animal stops, but I was really nervous with the manager person on board.  (I don't really know that she was a manager, she was just dressed like that... she could have been way more important, or not very important... I really have no clue)

Anyway, today's been a fun day.  I ended up going to work an hour early because they called me this morning asking if I could and I would never turn down extra hours.  Then I realized that despite the fact that I came in an hour early, I only got paid for fifteen extra minutes of work because the hour early turned my 6 hour shift into a 7 hour shift meaning I needed to have an unpaid 45 minute break in there.  Also, because I had to hurry in to start my shift early, I drove the car.  So basically, I made 2 extra dollars but spent 3 for driving.  Fail.

Other than that it was fun, though!  I love my job!  And the people I work with!

2 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Chim-chiminy, chim-chimeny, chim, chim, churoo,
I does what I likes,
'cause I likes what I do...

It's great to love your job.

Can't you blow a horn or something to ask the animals to move?

dubby said...

The manager had already arranged ahead of time to get the ostrich to walk and stop in front of you because she wanted to see how you acted under stress. You passed. Congratulations.