Thursday, October 6, 2011

Picking Up Shifts

I picked up a PAC shift today!  It was awesome!  I was a little nervous this morning when I first picked it up.  I've been checking the Extra Hours line every day, numerous times a day because I've only been getting 30-32 hours each week.  And there haven't been any shifts I could pick up.  The very, very few there have been have been during the time I'm already working.  And no restaurants in the area want to hire me because they need more availability than I can offer.

But today was the day!  I was not only able to pick up six hours tonight, but I picked up eight extra hours for next week so I'll have almost 40 hours both weeks.  Ugh.  Pathetic.  Hopefully things will pick up for the Holidays.

But anyway, I worked the Halloween party tonight so I wore the old purple bat hat costume.  I saw a lot of friends from last year, which was great too.  Plus, it was an awesome night.  However, I have learned that there is an attitude among MK workers that is not present in any other location I've ever worked.  They really are more arrogant about themselves and their jobs.  I wish they'd be more helpful to "new" people than the way they are just judgmental and not helpful.  For me, I already knew exactly what I was doing and actually remembered well enough to the point that I was able to help a lot of the new people.  Some of the EHH-ers didn't even know I wasn't statused in that location.

Some of the cast members just knew I was "new" though and talked down to me a lot and it was really annoying.  However, overall it was a really fun night.  My only problem was that I kept wanting to greet everyone with the word "Jambo!" which is an African Safari word.  Not really useful in the Magic Kingdom...

I spent the day in Magic Kingdom and even got my hair cut under the castle!  I've been wanting to get my hair cut for ages, but it hasn't really been a high priority.  Finally today I had time and a ten dollar bill.  I was in and out of Kingdom Kutters in less than ten minutes and she had cut my hair exactly like I wanted it with layers and bangs and everything!  I was very impressed (and when I told her, her response was, "I should hope so, I've been doing this for thirty years!")

Great day overall!  We also got free rice krispies because apparently tonight we did a phenomenal job at everything!  A few days ago at work we got a free pancake breakfast too and calendars!  They were pushing some sort of donation thing.  Yes, I donated.  Fifty cents.  Of my paycheck.  Each week.  For however long I choose to continue.  They try to get all cast members to participate and they have a looooong list of organizations you can choose to donate to.  And you can even choose the percent of what you donate, but they encourage all Disney employees to donate to charity organizations.

I was skeptical this morning but I'm definitely glad I picked up this shift.  I could have had today off, but I had a lot more fun at the parks than I would have sitting on my butt watching TV and messing around on the computer all day.  Plus, my teacher said to do one thing that scares you each day, and picking up that shift honestly did scare me a bit...

2 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Congrats on the extra shift. And congrats on the haircut. If you think Disney people are bad at mistreating newbies, you'd better never ever consider academia, where the full professors treat the new assistant professors like, um,... and don't even think about how they treat instructors who don't have Ph.D.'s... let's just say that stray dogs often are treated better.

dubby said...

Pecking order? Dad contributes to the United Way through his paycheck, too.