Thursday, June 24, 2010

Exotic Pet Shelter

So as an explanation to those animals I posted a little while back....

I've been volunteering with a local exotic pet shelter. It's sort of for one of my classes. My persuasion class requires us to find a community organization and then work with them to win this $200 grant. We went to talk to the owners, and I just fell in love with the animals and can't stop going back.

Off the top of my head, these are the animals that they currently have and I've gotten to play with:

Seven snakes (one is missing at the moment... slithering somewhere in the house), a chameleon, two spotted geckos, a bearded dragon, two turtles, three sugar gliders, two chinchillas, three chickens, one other kind of chicken (not sure the exact name), two conures, one parrot, four budgies, four ferrets, one "normal" bird (one that you'd find somewhere outside... a family tried to house train it and they couldn't put it back in the wild), two dogs, a pygmy goat and one more animal that I can't remember what it's called but it can walk on walls which is freakin' awesome!

At least I think that's all of them. They all have names too, but I'm not even gonna try to go through all of those. I'm still learning their names.

Anyway, they're really nice people and I love helping them out. It's so much fun! I doubt I'll do something like this in the future, but for now it works out perfectly! And I've learned some really cool things about animals. More on that to come later. :)

2 comments:

dubby said...

I think you've persuaded yourself to support this pretty well! Good luck with the class and enjoy your new furry and feathery friends.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I like sugar gliders, but they sure make a mess on the walls. Remember?