Thursday, June 3, 2010

That's Kinda Cool... But I'm Shy!

Weird... I got an email today inviting me to eat lunch with President Clark (the dean of our entire school) and his wife next Tuesday. Me and seven other students at a fancy white tablecloth meal. (They do it every week, it doesn't mean I accomplished anything awesome or successful. It just means I'm a random lucky kid.)

I'm nervous. I haven't responded to the email yet. I'm sort of shy.

But don't worry. Of course I wouldn't pass this opportunity up. I mean, seriously. Free food!!!! :)

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I'm still reading your blog, so keep 'em comin'. Looks like it's just you and me; mom posts some pics once in a while. I don't mind long posts, so let 'er rip!

Lunch is what you eat when you stop by subway on the way home after your 11:45 class. Lunch is what you fix when you're hungry at 1 p.m. You might even have a friend over for lunch, or go out to Mickey D's for lunch.

By contrast, a luncheon is usually scheduled, put on someone's calendar, invitations are made (verbally or in writing) in advance, and someone somewhere makes arrangements for everyone. Most often, a luncheon is held for some purpose.... you hold a luncheon to honor a retiring co-worker, you hold a luncheon to celebrate someone's new baby, you hold a luncheon to give out awards, you hold a luncheon to announce lay-offs or plant closings, etc. You also can be invited to a luncheon to hear someone deliver an address, speech, or presentations... almost all of my conferences include a luncheon for someone to do something. I myself am the luncheon speaker at the AIS Educator's Conference at the end of June. I'll be introduced while everyone else is eating dessert.

BTW, the word "lunch" is probably short for "luncheon", I would guess.

See? If I can post long comments, then you shouldn't be afraid to post long posts. So there.