Saturday, June 12, 2010

Food!

I like food. A lot. I also like cooking. A lot.

I've been trying to learn and make new stuff lately. I'm pretty sure I'd never eaten spaghetti squash before. Every time I go to the store and walk through the fresh produce aisle I always want to learn how to make some of the vegetables there (artichoke is next on my list... and someday I want to figure out what the cactus leaf is all about). Apparently, while I thought we ate loads and loads of veggies growing up, there's still a ton I've never tried.

So I made spaghetti squash the other night. And it was actually really really good! I think I can make it better though. All I did was put butter on it and pop it in the oven (after cutting and gutting it of course). But it tasted surprisingly like spaghetti (duh!). I want to start eating that more than just spaghetti cuz, hey, it's healthier and somewhat yummier!

I also made fettuccine alfredo last night (mostly) from scratch. I was surprised how totally delicious it came out to be. I added chicken and peas and it was super delicious.

Jeanette and I were talking about cooking today. We were talking about how it's different to cook in Idaho than out east (she's from Tennessee). We both feel like we're probably gonna be those wives who try to cook these great meals (that we really can cook sometimes) but they just never work like they're supposed to and then we're gonna get all sad and our husbands are still gonna try to pretend they like it even though it's totally no good and then we'll get even more frustrated.

Hopefully I'll be a fantastic cook by the time I get married. I can usually cook stuff, but I hate cooking for other people. I know what I like and how I like it, but I'm always worried other people aren't going to like it. Especially since I do things a little weird. Like I never ever add salt or pepper to my eggs. And I like creamed spinach, something none of my roommates have ever wanted to even try (they all always hate spinach).

Anyway, Jeanette and I are going to the store later today. We want to buy stuff to make a super delicious pizza. There was this show on TV talking about the best pizza places in Chicago and it made us hungry. Wish us luck! Hope we don't burn down the apartment!

No comments: