Saturday, August 27, 2011

Driving With Guests! Finally!

I got to drive the truck today with guests on it! First time ever! And it was so much easier than I thought it would be. I was seriously so nervous before today as to whether or not I was actually going to be able to pull this attraction off. I felt so behind, and like such a pathetic actor. After driving the first day, I realized that the driving part wasn't so bad. And memorizing the animals wasn't even that hard. But pulling everything together was a beast!

But I did it! I actually did it! I drove the truck, with guests, and didn't even mess up! Except for that one time... when I temporarily forgot what the bontebok was called. But I remembered... eventually! My trainer kept telling me that I was going to call it a bedonkedonk.

I thought it would be harder with guests, but it was actually easier. For one thing, having the back full of people makes the truck way easier to drive around. It's less bumpy too, which is nice. Also, the guests were all so happy and excited to be there it helped me get excited about the animals. I loved telling them random facts and having them be impressed at my random figures. "Yes, the white rhino can weigh up to 5,000 pounds!" "Ohhhh, ahhh!"

I even pulled up to each dock correctly, and my trainer didn't even say a single word to help me. Everyone agrees that docking is the hardest part. Which I think is why my trainer made me dock at Cheers 2 every time we came through. It's the hardest one to dock at, and it's not uncommon to have to back trucks out of there for pulling in wrong. Backing the trucks is a pain. My trainer is really hard on me, but as frustrating as it is, it's probably a good thing.

He did have to regulate my speed and stopping during the safari, though. I kept going too fast, or forgetting the stopping points. There are very specific points during the safari that you're allowed to stop, and you can only stop at them in specific conditions, so it's hard to keep track of that while watching the guests, listening to the radio, watching for animals, talking about the animals, keeping on the ride path, and keeping up with the script.

But I did it! And I feel so stinkin' accomplished! I think I'm gonna go buy myself a sundae. Just because! Ahh, what a good day. :)

3 comments:

dubby said...

I love reading about your adventures. But Dianna Dum Dum, really? Nobody has EVER called you that.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Keep up the great work. I love your postings.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

You do realize, of course, that you are hauling more passengers in your vehicle than Josiane Faes did in hers! About 15% more, to be exact. And she is one of the most awesomest drivers I've ever known! And yours is in the rough, not on the autobahn. And she never had to give a spiel, and never had to deal with small children.