Wednesday, August 10, 2011

How I Came To Find Out....

It occurred to me I never really wrote the story of how I was told I was working at DAK a few weeks ago. Lack of internet really ruins this whole blogging business. Anyway, here's a personal story to keep you entertained and my records of my life up to date. :)

It happened on July 23. Saturday. The day after I graduated from college. I was in the car making the three hour drive to our cabin in Dubois with my mom. As we went over a mountain, in and out of cell phone coverage, my phone rang. It was from an "Unavailable" number which in my past experience has always been calls from Disney. However, I didn't see why they would be calling me. I answered, and a cheerful, perky, Disney voice answered me back.

"Hello! This is 'Anne' from Disney University calling about your location of work beginning in August. Is this Dianna?"

"Um... yes..."

"Great! Yes, well I'm just calling on behalf of Disney's Animal Kingdom to inform you of your job beginning August 14th at the Animal Kingdom Kilimanjaro Safari ride........... *click*"

"Animal Kingdom! Awesome!!! But... my contract doesn't start until the 17th! I shouldn't be working there until later! Do I have to come early now? What if I get fired!? But the Safari was my #1 choice in Attractions of where I'd want to work! That's with LIVE ANIMALS! But... why are you calling and telling me? I thought I wasn't supposed to know until later!? I'm so confused!"

".........................."

"Crap..."

The next ten minutes involved me freaking out about all the ridiculous possibilities my brain could come up with in such a short period... I have a talent for worrying. What if they fire me for hanging up on them? What if I'm starting the 14th? Will I have to show up early? How will that mess up my friends I'm supposed to drive? Will I have time to make it to the east coast? What if she's lying? What if she's just looking for info? I'm so confused!!!

We got to the cabin where we still didn't get cell reception, but we got a landline. Since I have a genius of a mom, she figured out how to use the landline to call and listen to any voicemail I had on my phone. Fortunately "Anne" (I'm not using her real name here) had left a message just after I lost reception giving me a number to call her back.

I called back immediately. When I did, before I could even finish apologizing or explaining, and even before I could tell her that my contract did not start until the 17th, she started talking about the job again. "It's fine. I'm just letting you know that your job begins the 14th... I mean... oh I see. No. You start work the week beginning the 14th. Your real first day of work will be that Saturday, the 20th."


Ahhhh, much, much better! I finished up a very pleasant conversation with "Anne" and we hung up. And then the excitement really set in! I'm working on a Safari!!!

No comments: