Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Music Theory 101

I've been thinking a lot about this soccer class I signed up for second block. It's at 7:45. AM. Meaning morning. And I'm not too excited to wake up at 7am every Monday and Wednesday this coming block if I have another option. So, out of desperation, I checked the website for the jillionth time to see if there was any other potentially fun elective credit I could take so I could at least be at or above the twelve credit mark. And I actually FOUND one!

Music Theory. It's an online course so yesterday I emailed the professor and asked if I could please be in his class and if there were deadlines that were already passed. He sent me a very nice email this morning asking me to give him my I-Card info and that he'd wave the deadlines that had passed for me and register me into the course as long as I promised to attempt to get caught up as quickly as possible.

At 4pm today I began the course and have taken the first two exams already without even looking at the course because, really people. Beginning music theory when I've been playing piano since who knows how long and had band all throughout middle and high school. Yeah, piece of cake.

Or so I thought. I'm now on unit three. Out of nine. And to be totally honest it was a cinch up until about twenty minutes ago (learning about treble and bass clefs and what notes are, haha). I never learned about compound duples and simple triads! What the heck? I understand how to count it all and I know how many beats everything gets and all... but it's all the terminology that's throwing me out of bounds. Wow.

So I guess this'll be fun and interesting. I need to be on exam 5 by the end of this week to be caught up. Hopefully I'll figure this out. I'm gonna feel like an idiot if I fail music theory 101 (okay, well the real course is 190 but we all know it means 101).

1 comment:

dubby said...

How fun! Although I always took my PE courses at 8 am and enjoyed them, because it got me moving for the day. You remember my famous swimming course where I was the only female in the class? Yeah, well....

As to music theory, you DID learn a lot more with Mr. Shull than any band course I've ever seen, so I am glad you have a bit of a head start. I think you will thoroughly enjoy this. Music theory was the simplest course I ever took in college, next to Chamber Music where I got an A and the teacher never got around to having a single class period.