Thursday, June 11, 2009

Volunteering

I'm loving school this semester. Not only because I got to go to Europe but also because I have amazing teachers! My religion teacher is the same one I had last semester. I'm taking him again because he's a super good teacher and his class was pretty much at a perfect time for me to register. My Humanities of Islam teacher is one of those teachers who is pretty relaxed, makes the subject interesting, and cares more about what the student learns than having set requirements and grades. Something I'm learning to appreciate in teachers. And of course music theory. Who knew that music could be so ridiculously complicated?!

I have friends in both classes (music's online), but other than that I've been totally lacking in the social department since I've been back. Other than my roommates I haven't really done much fun/social stuff. But this Saturday I was invited by one of my FHE sisters, Gina, to help in the Teton Dam Marathon. I'm gonna get an orange T-shirt that says Dam Marathon on it! And I'm waking up at 6am. Ugh! From what I've heard it's going to be very similar to the Bike America things my family used to do... except with runners. We're in charge of mile ten.

I kinda wish I'd have found a way to volunteer more on the radio/communications side of things because 1) I have a handy walkie radio that I desperately want to use and 2) my major is communications so I'm sure it would count for something and 3) I could definitely use the practice and it would feel like I'm actually helping more. But, unfortunately, I never found a way/group to do that. I think the communications stuff is left up to the police who are supposed to be lurking everywhere. So I'm stuck cleaning porta potties and spraying runners with water. Yippee!

No really, it should be fun. The people I'll be with are fun. And mom just sent me a camera so I'll try to remember it and take lots of pictures. Other than that not much has been happening except school. I've taken to making a list of all the stuff I want to get accomplished to fill my free time. Stuff like practicing the piano, making a recipe book, exercising, finishing Twilight (I'm almost halfway through Eclipse now!), finishing my music list(long story), journal-ing, looking for scholarships, making a scrapbook of Europe(I have the book and everything... just have to start), etc.

I guess I'll go do some of that now... After I finish homework of course! :)

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Read your manual, and learn how to set your radio to SCAN between 144.0 and 148.0 MHz. When the scan stops on a signal, make a note of that signal's frequency on your radio's read-out, and email me with the frequency and I'll tell you how to set your radio so you can talk to the hams you will be listening to. They will tell you how to go about volunteering for the communicator positions. I can't believe that Rexburg doesn't have a couple dozen ham radio guys.