Monday, June 22, 2009

Pretty Much Amazing.

On Saturday, our sink decided to be obnoxious and start draining slower and slower. My genius roommates decided to not worry about it and use it like normal anyways. I'm not blaming any single person... I think it's a combination of all of us putting too much food down the sink when we don't have a grinder thingy (my mind's going blank for the right word and I'm too lazy to sit here thinking of it, you know what I mean though). So anyway, by Saturday night it was totally stopped up.

Sunday in Mormonville means everything's closed and you can do nothing. So there was no way to tell the managers of our problem or go to the store or anything. Kylie and I were pretty much the only roommates who stopped cooking and using dishes at that point. By this morning our sink looked almost like this...




except if you can see the ring lines in the sink that's actually where the water level was. One of my genius roommates thought it'd be nice to fill up both sides of the sink. "Maybe all the pressure will make the clog go away!!" Kay, well I don't really know what they were thinking... oh well. I took a bowl and emptied out most of the sink. The water smelled like puke and the small food chunks didn't help. Especially since I ended up getting it all over my hands when draining it.



But I figured draining it would help the draino help better. Yep, I went to the store and bought a bottle of Draino in hopes it would work. Kylie went to the manager's this morning and told them about it and she said, "Oh. Okay, we'll send someone as soon as possible." which is manager speak for, "Maybe I'll get around to it Thursday." We couldn't deal with the smell that long.

So I bought draino and we poured it down the sink. The WHOLE bottle. Half in one sided half in the other.




30 minutes later it looked like this. Blech! What a waste of four bucks. (fortunately I got the four dollar bottle instead of the eight dollar bottle... although I was seriously considering going back for the more expensive one)




So we got out the plunger. Plunged and plunged. One side of the sink would go down as the other went up. Soooo obnoxious.




Of course, as always is when I'm in trouble I go to my final resort. Again. MOMMY!!! She brought up the brilliant idea (among others) to plug up one side of the sink and continue plunging the other side. I held the left sided down with a spoon (I didn't want to put my hand in that icky water again) and Kylie plunged the right... and amazingly within about 10 seconds.....



Our sink did this!!!!!!! I'm not gonna lie, we started girl screaming! Then Kylie and I cleaned the kitchen because it looked absolutely DISGUSTING! We wiped down the sink and counters like four times each. It felt soooo much better to have a clean kitchen again. But the smell is still lingering.



I'm not a fan of having throw up smell all through my apartment. Especially since my bed is exactly on the other side of the wall from the sink. Yuck! But it's not too bad and the kitchen looked even cleaner sine it's been so dirty for so long.

As for the managers calling a plunger? Well, we decided we're not going to tell them we fixed it because first of all, it's "after hours" now anyway. Second, they probably will forget about us completely anyway so why bother?

Anyway, we learned a great lesson today. Especially as each of our roommates came home and started jumping up and down that our sink was fixed!

Who needs men? Kylie and I are pretty much aMAzing!!!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

You go Girl!!! You are amazing! A little Girl Power and you can achieve anything. Oh by the way a cup to cup and half of bleach once a month should help. It will clear the drain out. Just don't mix it with anything while your pouring it down the drain.

dubby said...

I say your roommates owe you fifty cents or a dollar each.