Thursday, September 10, 2009

What Does the Luckiest Kid In the World Get Paid To Do?

Today I spent four hours outside playing with glow toys. I played with these light up Mickey Mouse light sabers, glow necklaces, light up glasses, light up Mickey ears, swirly light toys, etc. etc. etc. I was also using the toy that you spin in circles and it says words.

They call it marketing. I call it fun.

I sold enough to more than double the money they made last night. Needless to say my boss was pleased. :)

Pretty sure it wasn't just me. I think it was more chance than anything, but still it was a DANG fun night.

Although I'll admit I almost cried when I had to go inside to count my money/inventory at 9:00. The fireworks show begins right at 9. Poo on that. But it was still DANG fun!

Yesterday I was in the shop playing with an Airzooka. You know the toy that shoots air at people. I was shooting these girls. It was awesome.

A few days ago I was playing and balancing golf balls on top of each other. I learned how to do it and it was fun having the guests try. Not many could. A lot of men came up and payed with it for about fifteen seconds before asking where the magnets were. I told them there were none, it was pure talent. One guy said (word for word) "Well the heck with that then! Come on guys, let's go." I was laughing so freakin' hard!

A little girl was in the store a few days ago. Her mom made it clear to her that "You can buy the stuffed Nemo, or the necklace. You need to pick just one. Which one do you want?" A few seconds after the mother left the little girl to decide I heard a squeal of excitement followed by the little girl's voice, "Mommy! I got an idea! How 'bout we just get both of them!!?" Good idea kid. Good idea!

A little boy asked me how much an item was just as his parents had finished paying for other stuff for him. I could tell by the parents faces that he was not allowed anything else. So I told him, "It's $19.95 except if you're parents don't want you to get it I have to tack on an extra $2000 charge." The kid looked at me, confused for a second as I saw the parents hold in a laugh. Then he looked around and said, "Wait... you're kidding, right?" Turning to his parents, "She didn't really mean that, right?" I replied, "Sure I did! If I'm gonna go against your parents wishes I might as well get something out of it!" Hahahahahaha!

While I have awesome people that I meet, and the majority of the people I talk to are amazing and incredible, I do get that occasional guest that puts a slight damper on things.

A little boy about three or four was walking by holding his parents hand. He stopped right in front of me, looked me right in the eye and said, "Will you give me a toy!?" Okay, I understand a kid that young not understanding the idea that things don't come free in this world and that it's super rude to ask a complete stranger to give you a toy. What I don't understand is why his parents, who were both right there and watched the whole entire thing, didn't say anything. Not only did they stand there silently, but they were looking at ME expectantly!! As if it was my job to give their kid free toys.

Okay, I know parents pay loads of money to get their kids into these parks, but seriously? Wow. I ended up saying, "No. But I can give you a sticker! Here you go." And I gave him a sticker. I kind of didn't even want to give him that because I wish he could have learned that that's not how the world works but whatever. That's not my job.

I have a ton more stories I'd love to share both good and bad. Actually, I think that's pretty much covers the negatives of my life lately. Cuz my life seriously is THAT FREAKIN' AWESOME!

But I have to go now. So enjoy this update.

Oh yeah, I also got a time to meet with my manager (who happens to be like a super boss over like, all of EPCOT). He said he'd set aside an HOUR to meet with me and talk about what Professional Internships I could possibly do and who I need to talk to and what to do to get accepted. Apparently they're all super hard to get into so wish me luck!!!

2 comments:

dubby said...

The luckiest kid in the world wants me to wish her luck???

Um, okay. Good luck!

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Good luck. Sounds like you're on a roll... heh, heh...