Friday, July 9, 2010

I Hate Macs (Volume Five)

We have to create a book for one of my class projects. Carol had the book on her Mac because she was using InDesign and it was her job to compile the book.

Well, she titled the book on her computer as Wildhouse.indd. The name of the organization we're sponsoring is called Wildhouse. She saved it in a folder called Wildhouse.

Well, part of my job was to come up with pictures for the book. So I put a bunch of the files on my computer and titled the folder Wildhouse. I put that folder on my thumb drive and gave it to Carol.

She went to copy the folder to her desktop. She clicked and dragged as I watched, and a little pop up screen came up. As I asked her what it was and if we should rename it, she responded no. She said she knew what that was and was sure it wouldn't be a problem as she clicked OK.

Except that it was a problem.

Not only did it delete the entire book we've spent the last month creating and writing. It deleted the few pictures we already had, all the writing and pretty much anything and everything else linked to it. Because on Macs you can't just copy and paste. You have to create links.

By clicking OK we replaced the file with nothing but a bunch of pictures.

This is bad. Very bad. The book is due in less than a week. Very very bad.

I'll admit, a PC would have probably done the same thing.

Fortunately for me, I don't have any extra work to do since my writing part I have backed up on my computer and can simply send to her again. She's the only one who has to start over. But still, that stinkin' sucks!

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I would have thought by now that everyone with half a brain would know the value of being "backed up" all the time. Sheesh.