Sunday, July 4, 2010

Captain EO

When I worked at Imagination in Disney World, I heard rumors several times about how Captain EO would make it's return sometime in the "near future." For those who don't know, Captain EO was an attraction in the place where I worked from 1986-1994 centering around Michael Jackson. Since Michael died last year, they were talking about bringing it back in his memory.

I heard the rumors. I didn't care. I'm not really a die hard Michael Jackson fan. I wasn't totally sure where they were going to put the attraction, but I definitely heard people talk about it. I thought it was one of those rumors that was just a rumor though.

But it's true. As of two days ago, the new Captain EO attraction opened up in the place where Honey I Shrunk the Audience used to be, right outside the doors from where I used to work. Honey I Shrunk the Audience was a pretty good show in my opinion. But I'll be honest, it scared the kids.

I remember one day I was working in strollers. As people return their strollers I would sometimes make small talk with them. One particular family with a little girl came to return theirs. I asked the little girl what her favorite part of the park was. She said Test Track as probably 90% of the little kids enjoy that ride the most. Her dad then completed this by saying, "Yep, but she sure didn't like the snake in the Audience show." The mom of the family pushed her husband and said, "Don't remind her!" as the little girl began crying. I had to try really hard not to laugh. Apparently she was deathly afraid of snakes. And there was a giant snake in the 3D Audience film determined to freak out small children. That why the signs say, "Warning, may be frightening for children!" Although, the Ellen DeGeneres ride also says it's frightening and it isn't at all. Meh.

Apparently Captain EO is supposed to be frightening as well. I will have to see. The only ride at Disney World that seriously freaked me out was the Dinosaur ride in Animal Kingdom. I rode it several times and each time I can say I was genuinely freaked out of my mind almost to tears. It was awesome!

No comments: