Sunday, August 22, 2010

Disney Cruise Line....Part 3

On this day we decided to have breakfast in Triton's. Triton's was the super fancy restaurant on the ship. We were supposed to have dinner there the last night, but we just couldn't wait so we decided to have breakfast there as well.



We had a perfect view of the ocean!



And yes, I ate my donut with a fork and knife... I just felt weird having gooey hands in such a nice place!



It was grey outside, but we were ready to deboard the ship onto Castaway Cay (Disney's private island) so we went ahead and left. So of course that's when it started raining. As we approached the beaches, we were told the beaches were closed due to weather. So we hung out in some tourist shops and then we found this pavilion that had a basketball net and other games. We threw the basketball around for a while and then they finally opened the beaches. It was still raining, but we just changed into our swimsuits and went into the ocean.





Above is the family beach. And yes, that is our sandcastle... we didn't have many supplies to work with but I think it's magnificent! We tried to build a wall because the waves kept coming up and ruining our castle. It sort of worked... but then the waves took down our wall.

We then continued on. The BBQ was around 11:30 so we were first in line for that. It was delicious! The best thing about Disney owning an island is that all the food there was free too! It was an awesome, buffet style barbeque.



After the BBQ we watched some crab races and then headed for the adults only beach.





The beach was definitely the most relaxing part of the day. Unfortunately, it was also the part of the day that I got possibly the worst sunburn I've experienced in my entire life. We swam in the ocean for a long time. Then we sat in some chairs in the ocean for a long time. Then we laid out on the beach chairs for a long time. I had put on SPF 85+ sunscreen on that morning and SPF 50 (waterproof) sunscreen on right before this beach. And still afterwards the fronts of both my legs were ridiculously burned, my shoulders, chest, and back were all nice and red too. Fortunately, my face was left barely touched. Poor Heather was burned too on her shoulders. This surprised me especially because she's really tan and I wouldn't have guessed she'd burn as badly but yeah. It happened.

After burning we headed back to the boat. This island was gorgeous. I mean gorgeous!



The Flying Dutchman from Pirates of the Caribbean had crash landed here so we snapped some pictures. Captain Jack Sparrow was supposed to be out for a meet and greet, but because of the rain he was unable to come.





As we approached the boat there was a cast member handing out cold, damp washcloths. Genius idea, especially since we were sunburned. It was great.



And if you look closely at the above picture you can see one of the life boats has been taken down. We think they were doing some sort of training drill while we were gone. Kind of cool.

And below is me trying to get a picture of my Neapolitan self. It looked much more obvious in real life with my tan hand, bright red leg, and white and white back of my leg. Heather's was even more obvious than mine though because she was way more tan than I am.



And this was the animal... we think it was some sort of bunny. ??



So we then went to Palo. I have no picture of Palo because it was such an insanely fancy restaurant I didn't feel comfortable getting my camera out. I've been to a lot of fancy restaurants... especially with all those trips to Europe. But this one could have beat most of those. They even gave Heather a different napkin so that the napkin matched her outfit! Since I was wearing mostly white, I kept my white napkin. But as we sat down they took Heather's because she was wearing mostly black and they brought back a black napkin. So funny!

I wasn't going to order an appetizer because I wasn't terribly hungry. I was mostly just exhausted from all that relaxing I did earlier! But as I told our waitress (who happened to be from the outskirts of Antwerp, Belgium) that I only wanted the lamb, she practically made me order an appetizer! She asked if I liked seafood and I said yes. Then she told me she was bringing me the shrimp. Which was amazing. But I also have to say that lamb was the best lamb I've ever had in my entire life! It was so unbelievably delicious!

For dessert we had the chocolate souffle (kay, not sure if I spelled that right, but you get what I'm talking about). It was fantastic too. I was so sad I couldn't finish it and I felt so rude but I seriously thought I would puke if I ate any more and I figured puking would be ruder than not eating everything.

After dinner, which lasted longer than we expected, we made our way to the Pirate Party. We had missed the first few minutes, but we still got to see the fireworks and Mickey fly down and defeat the pirates!





After the party we just went to bed. We we so tired and exhausted which is weird because it was such a nice, easy-going day. My burn hurt worse and worse through the night. What sucks about having such a big, terrible sunburn is that there's no comfy way to sleep. I couldn't sleep on my stomach because it hurt my thighs. I couldn't sleep on my side because my shoulders killed. And I couldn't sleep on my back because that was sunburned too. But most of all I couldn't move from whatever position I was in because that hurt too! Needless to say it was a rough night.

I'm not saying I was miserable, though. I want to make that clear! It was worth every second of pain because it was so much fun and such a great experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat... but maybe with even more sunscreen. :)

No comments: