Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Oh The Joys! ...Of Apartment Living

A few weeks ago my roommate and I were on the couch watching a movie.  Suddenly, our phone rang so my roommate got up and answered it.  Apparently, the girl on the other end was yelling and cussing at her about how we were being too loud.  My roommate tried to clarify which apartment the girl was trying to reach because obviously, my roommate and I weren't being loud at all... we weren't even walking around our apartment.  The girl on the phone was so mad though, she just (apparently) started making fun of my roommate for not even knowing where she lived, and then my roommate hung up.

I assumed the girl on the other end either had the wrong apartment or was drunk.  My roommate was pretty upset about it, but the more we talked about it the more we decided the girl probably had the wrong apartment, and I made myself feel better by telling myself that the girl probably felt bad when she realized she chewed out the wrong apartment.

Well.  Fast forward to today.  About fifteen minutes ago.  I just got back from my class and no one else is home.  There was a knock on the door and I answered it to find Price Management (the guys in charge of our apartment complex... maintenance basically) standing there ready to install our new corkboards that each apartment is getting!  It's all part of the complex's idea to prevent us students from creating more holes in the walls.  They're installing five giant corkboards throughout our apartments so that all the stuff we want on our walls can go onto those and we won't be creating even more damage to the walls.

So the guys came in.  There were two guys and five gigantic corkboards.  I'm not gonna lie, they were heavy corkboards and they kept dropping them on the ground.  They asked if anyone was sleeping and I answered no, since I was the only one home.  They started hammering away and shortly after our phone started to ring.

One of the guys made a joke about how "if that is my ex-wife, tell her I'm not here!"  Laughing, I answered the phone.  I barely said "Hello" when the girl on the other end started yelling at me about letting elephants make babies in my apartment.  After I heard the third "F-bomb" I just hung up the phone, with her still screaming, and started laughing.  I told the maintenance guys about it and the one mentioned, "Sheesh, I guess it was my ex."

They didn't quiet down much after that.  The hammering needed to be done and the heavy corkboards were hard to move from room to room without letting them drop on the ground at least a little.  But five minutes passed and they were done.

The phone rang again.  I didn't bother answering, knowing I'd just be yelled at.

Five more minutes passed.  There was a knock at my door.

I looked through the peephole, planning on refusing to open the door if I didn't know who it was.  I didn't know who it was.  But it was a security guard.

I opened the door.  She asked me if I was making much noise.  I showed her how I was on my computer (actually in the middle of the first paragraph of this post), and was the only one home.  Then I explained how the guys were literally just here installing the corkboards (they were only next door) and how they were here when the girl downstairs called so she could ask them as well.  The security lady asked if I knew the girl's name who called, but I didn't.  Then she told me to have a nice day and left.

I think my neighbors downstairs hate me.  What's more, this whole situation reeeeeeally makes me want to do jumping jacks and parade around my apartment stomping on the floor.

But I won't.  Cuz I'm the bigger person.

Also, I'm pretty sure I should start being careful about where I park my car.  I'm really worried if they find out which car is mine they'll key it or slash tires or something.  But then that's probably just my anxiety talking.

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Now you know why I don't live in an apartment complex or condominium or townhouse or ... Do you remember the situation last summer with Allen's neighbor? Suburban and rural living has its drawbacks, but it has its rewards, too.