Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Professional Internships

Last Wednesday I received an email from Recruiting asking to set up an interview for a PI.  I set up the interview which took place Thursday.  I learned more about that job, and hung up the phone feeling nervous despite the phone conversation going just fine.

Friday I received another email from Recruiting asking me to fill out background check info.  I told them all about my previous life as a convicted felon and all the laws I've ever broken.  After reading and obsessing over others who have been accepted/denied, I knew this email meant they were getting ready to give me an offer.  Or, in very rare cases, change their mind and turn me down.

But this email came Friday.  Which meant I had all weekend to obsess over what was going to happen. 

Monday came and I missed a call from Disney because I was at work.  I proceeded to play telephone tag all day, obsessing even more.  My manager told me he had received a phone call from recruiting about me and that he put in a good word.  I was delighted, but could hardly even show how happy I was.  I think I was more in a state of bewilderment.  Plus, it's hard to talk with a stomach in your throat.

Monday night my roommate and I were watching a movie and my phone started ringing.  It was that magical phone call!  The one where they offered me a Professional Internship!  But... not the one that I had the second phone interview for...  Well, she informed me I was still in the running for that one.  But I was officially accepted to this one, and I had to accept within 48 hours online.

I went online Tuesday (yesterday) and accepted.  The pay is higher, the job is fun, and I'll get to work at Disney World!

Today, I was just getting over that excitement and continuing to look for apartments (mainly friends to get an apartment with) when my phone rang again.  This time, again, from Disney.  (I'm learning that anytime a "restricted" number calls my phone it's going to be awesomely amazing!)  The lady on the other end offered me the other Internship!

"I see here that you've already been accepted to this other one, but at this point you are allowed to change your mind and choose between them if you'd like.  I want you to know though, that this is extremely rare.  We only offer maybe ten interns two PIs each season, if that.  This is a very high honor that you're allowed to choose between two."  As she told me this I nearly started crying.

Even though she offered me a day to think about it, I went ahead and told her I would rather stay with the first.  For one thing, I'm not really into answering angry guest emails all day.  I'm kind of sick of working with guests, and will enjoy working more with cast.  For another, the Workforce internship pays more per hour.  And also, the apartment I'm looking at living in is closer to the Workforce internship office, whereas it's more like ten of fifteen from where the GC internship would have been.  Also, Workforce will take me more in the direction I want to go long term.  So it wasn't a really hard decision to make.

But really.  Oh my gosh!  I'm still reeling... I can't even believe it.  I am seriously.  So. Freaking.  LUCKY!

Words can't even describe my joy right now!

Maybe I'll get Ghirardelli tonight to celebrate!  Just as a test to see if chocolate can even make the happiest people in the world even happier!

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Congratulations. Higher pay, for a job you like more... how lucky can you get? BTW, what is HS?