Friday, November 25, 2011

Which One's Best?

I'm constantly asked which of my three jobs at Disney was my favorite.  Merchandise in EPCOT vs. Main Entrance in Magic Kingdom vs. Kilimanjaro Safaris in Animal Kingdom.  Honestly, the answer to this question is not just a one word thing.  I loved parts of each one, and I've dreaded other parts.  And as much as I try, I can't weigh in and figure out which one, overall was my favorite.  They were all just different.

I loved Merchandise because I was always able to make the unhappy guest happy again.  I don't recall a single time I was unable to help out a guest in a positive way.  It was a simple job, in air conditioning, that was fairly low stress and fun.  My specific location was extra fun because it included the pictures that I got to take of guests.  I loved getting them to pose just right in front of the green screen and then "magically" putting it onto the background of their choice.  I loved the one-on-one guest interactions in this role.  I also loved that I could pick up shifts anywhere on property and there were constantly shifts available for me to pick up extra hours.

There were also several reasons why I didn't like this role.  I constantly felt terrible for making monetary mistakes or messing up counting or whatever.  It also got extremely boring.  The same old place selling the same old Merchandise every single day.  And it was nothing special... it was basically just like the bookstore I used to work at.  Same, easy, grunt work job that almost everyone in the world has had experience in doing at one point or the other.  Nothing big or exciting or different.  Plus it's sad that Figment is nearly gone, and no one hardly knows who he is anymore.  And I didn't like that my hours here were entirely unpredictable.  At least in my other jobs the parades are at the same times (or at least within an hours or so) and at my job now I'm off early each day... but in EPCOT I could literally have been scheduled anytime, morning, noon and night, and I had no say, whatsoever.

Now on to Magic Kingdom.  I loved going between turnstiles and PAC.  I absolutely loved getting the crowds energized.  Hearing the music to the parades and being around such great excitement, and getting others excited was absolutely amazing, and participating in Flag Retreat was just something else.  I got to watch the MK fireworks show (including the Holiday fireworks which normally cost extra, even for cast members) every single night to the point I practically had them memorized.  I worked with a lot more people my own age, and overall had a magnificent time.

Unfortunately, the biggest negative to this role was the amount I got yelled at.  For fairly good reason too.  At the turnstiles, people freak out when their $500 paper ticket doesn't work the first time.  And within the park during the parade, people are tired and exhausted at the end of the day with three screaming children and are at the end of their thread already when I have to go up to them and say, "I'm sorry, you may not watch the parade from here."  Hence me being cussed out at least weekly.  Almost daily.  Very, very hard on me.  But I learned a lot from it.  Unfortunately, it changed my perspective on people, making me think more the worst of people instead of the best.  I'm recovering from that and becoming more realistic day by day.

Now on to my current job!  Safaris!  My favorite thing about this ride, ultimately, is the people I get to work with.  Everyone is just so much fun.  I love how we have so many "outside" of work parties.  I love playing, and being silly, and goofing off.  I don't think I've ever loved a group of people so much... at least since the rescue squad I worked on.  I love talking about my job.  The hours are completely amazing. I'm off before 6 basically every single day.  It's also amazing to get to share stories of animals and guests... and sometimes the two combined.  Best thing ever!

But, it gets very boring.  I'll be honest.  There are times that I cringe to do another Safari, sick of repeating the same things about the same animals again and again and again.  It's hard on me physically, my back sometimes aches when I get home and my voice is just gone after working just a few days in a row.  I get a sore throat, and I can no longer sing.  Like, at all.  Which is really sad, I love singing.  And it's exhausting.  I never get any exercise, but I'm still just exhausted at the end of the day, not wanting to do anything.  But at the end of the day, I always have the biggest smile on my face that just won't go away because I'm so happy to be with so many great people.

I just wanted this documented at some point, since this is my last CP ever, hopefully.  Maybe it will help others decide what role to have.  Honestly, I've both loved, and been terribly annoyed, by every single role.  It really has been a roller coaster, but I wouldn't change any of my jobs for anything.  I'm so grateful for the experience of working all of them.  Hopefully, I'll love my new job as much as I love these.

No comments: