Saturday, November 26, 2011

Make A Wish

I haven't written much about the Make a Wish kids on here.  In fact, I'm not sure I've ever mentioned them.  However, they do have a pretty big impact.  The Make a Wish foundation brings children who have been diagnosed with life threatening illnesses or only have months, sometimes weeks to live, to Orlando to have one "last" family vacation.  It is extremely sad.  These kids are distinguished usually by their buttons, but they also have very special cards to bring around with them that show us cast members who they are.  It's pretty rare to see them, but we all treat those families like gold.  I don't see them often, normally only to let them into the Fastpass line because their card is an automatic Fastpass onto any ride in any park all the time, no questions.

With that said, I have a story.  Today, after my first break, I got my next assignment.  I was sent to a wheelchair truck.  I don't like driving wheelchair trucks.  I don't like the drama, I don't like having to come up with extra "filler" spiel at the end when things are blocked up in the jog, I don't like pulling up to that dock since it's the hardest one to go up to... I just don't like it.  On top of getting this truck, I went up to bump it and realized it had the headphones that I hate.  The kinds that go around the back of your head and pinch your head to the point you get a headache.  And since the cord was behind me I kept sitting on it and they kept falling off.  I asked to change them and she told me the other set was broken.

Needless to say, I was not happy and actually quite whiny.  I did my first three rounds happily driving guests, but being grumpy after pulling up to the dock and ripping off the headphones every chance I got.  (It's okay, I pull up to the dock just fine... it's just hard and I'm always scared I'm going to miss it).

As I finished my third round I was sad to see that I didn't have a breaker and I'd have to do another round.  I was hoping I could stop after three, I was hungry.  I looked back and saw one family in the line to get on my truck. As they approached I noticed it was a mom and dad and four kids.  And they had the Make a Wish buttons.  At least, the little girl did.  They were all very happy and had their faces painted and were perfectly ready and excited for a two week safari.  I did my best to sound upbeat.

As they boarded my truck, we waited a bit, and Tara (who was working the dock) noticed there weren't any other guests on their way.  Normally, in this situation, we load regular guests onto the truck who don't have wheelchairs or ECVs so that the normal line gets a little shorter, and my truck goes full.  We were sitting at about a thirty minute wait.  But, this family seemed really sweet and fun.  And they were Make a Wish kids.  So Tara and I agreed to go ahead and give this family their own, private safari, instead of calling for more guests.  The only time I've ever done this... However, it was, quite possibly, the best decision ever!

Instead of doing a normal safari, I gave the family just a little bit of backstage information as we went around, to make it a little special.  However, I stuck to the script as much as possible, basically giving them a combination of both VIP backstage tour with the normal safari meshed into one.  I chatted with them and joked, and they laughed.  The mom was practically rolling on the floor after one of my jokes.  I was very conversational and it was quite possibly one of my best safaris yet.

At the end they clapped for me and told me it was absolutely perfect.  Their kid only had weeks left, and this was their second day in their final seven day vacation as a family.  I let them know how honored I felt to have not only been a part of it, but to be a great, memorable part of it.  They said they felt like VIPs as well getting to ride like that. 

I know it doesn't sound like much on here.  But I nearly cried after I got my break after that round.  The family was so happy, the kids so loving, and I was able to give them a pretty decent magical moment that they would remember.  It felt so amazing.  I don't know how long the little boy had left.  But those kids look so emaciated from chemo and whatever treatments they've had.  The mom was telling me how they only had the energy to do half days.  I could tell the little boy only had a little bit left.

For the record, the vacation that Make a Wish gives them is three days in Disney, two days at Universal, and one day in Sea World.  The seventh day is used for whatever extra activity the kid wants whether it be skydiving or going to the beach or visiting local museums or whatever.  Usually though, this mom said they spend that day together, as a family, with no one else in the world but each other.  I can't imagine the pain of losing a little kid.  Knowing your child only has weeks to live, or a sibling will be gone soon.  Seeing a little girl who doesn't have hair to braid anymore or this little boy who would never be able to throw around a football again because he could hardly even stand.  But yet, they understand joy in a different way than I think I may ever understand.

And now that made my wheelchair truck experience totally worth it.  The new perspective.  The opportunity to give that family something special.  Getting to meet that family.  It's all worth it.

I certainly am grateful for my family.  I'm grateful for so much, but health and life are some of the most important things I think I could be grateful for!  I love my life!  I love my job!

2 comments:

Mama said...

Thank you for sharing this Dianna, it is so beautiful...like you. Thank you for being there for them.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Yes, thanks. Your daddy loves you and appreciates your sharing this story. Keep up the great work.