Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Don't Like Going To Offices

I hate going to see teachers in their offices. Hate it. No matter what teacher it is or what the reason is, I hate going to see them. I don't even know why. There's no rational reason. I have just always dreaded it.

Today, though, I finally made up my mind that I just had to see my Spanish teacher. I got a 50% on an exam a while back which is very clearly not like me at all. It was seriously bugging me a lot. It was actually two exams ago but I've been dreading seeing him so much that I've refused to go until today.

Well, I went upstairs in the Smith to talk to my teacher today. On my way to his office I decided I had to go to the bathroom first. I was so nervous! On my way to the bathroom I walked by my friend Tiare (T-R-E). I said hi, she said hi back.

She asked me where I was going. I pointed behind me and said, "On my way to go see a teacher..." She looked at my hand pointing back in the direction I just came from. "Annnnnd?"

"Annnnd.... umm.... I'm going to go to the bathroom."

Kay, well it was funnier at the time. She just laughed at me. I don't know why I even pointed. Ugh.

I hate going to see teachers. But I did eventually make it into his office and we discussed the exam. We noted some errors the computer made in grading my exam and he bumped it up a bit for which I was grateful.

We also talked about the ones I got wrong. As usual I had everything right but just got a basic idea backwards accidentally and that killed me on several questions. He said the whole class average went down several points with that exam so it wasn't just me. And he drops the lowest exam score anyway so it wasn't really a big deal.

The best part is I now totally get what I did wrong and I've proved to the teacher that I truly do understand what's going on in his class even if my stupid grades don't reflect it. He really is a fantastic teacher and is genuinely interested that each individual student not only gets a good grade but thoroughly understands the material.

But I still hate going to see teachers. Hate every second of it. Which is weird cuz my dad is a teacher and I've always felt like he's totally cool with students coming in to see him. That's why they have office hours. But I still don't like it!

4 comments:

Obliviocelot said...

Teachers like it when students go see them. For one thing, office hours are boring for them if no one shows up since they're there for the express purpose of being there if students want to talk to them. Also, you may end up doing better in a class if you go talk to your teacher outside of class because it shows the teacher that you care about the class and you're willing to do stuff outside of class to advance your learning.

Of course, I'm sure Dad will give you a much longer and more in-depth lecture about this....

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Yeah, what Lint Monkey said. Exactly.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Oh, and don't worry about the rat dog with the mohawk. Rat dogs are too stupid to even realize they are being made fun of. Cats, well, cats always know. And smart dogs, like border collies and goldens, they know when they are being made fun of, and they can shrug it off and know better than to care. But rat dogs? Clueless. That's why you can dress them up in a plaid sweater, put ribbons on their tail, and give them names like Wallace, Theobald, or Darling Sophietta V, and they won't even notice how everyone laughs and points. I've seen rocks that had more intelligence than most rat dogs. Rat dogs are specifically bred over many generations to be sofa pillows. Giving one a mohawk is an innovative idea and probably a darn good improvement. Kudos to whoever thought of it.

dubby said...

Ew to the ratdog. AND the mohawk.