Saturday, March 13, 2010

Typos

My teacher had us do this reading for class on Tuesday. Well, I think technically every day we're supposed to have done a reading, but he never really enforces it so I've never really done it. I know. Bad student. Smack my hand.

Well, he actually told us to do the reading this time and really emphasized it's importance. So I decided I might as well do the right thing at least once this semester.

This book has so many freakin' TYPOS! It's an online book. Actually, I think it's a real book but the teacher had mercy on the fact that we're poor college students and put it online so it's free. But seriously, there are so many typos and they're really keeping me on my toes in this reading. Here are a few sentences:

"The right action is the one chat avoids punishment and gains approval."

"...an equal exchange that satisfies die individual's own interest"

"...does not yet have the power to identity with others"

"being responsive... is considered die right cling to do"

Yeah, I could seriously go on and on. These were taken from only a paragraph and a half. AND EACH PARAGRAPH IS ONLY FOUR LINES LONG!!!

And no, there isn't a reason for the typos hidden creatively in the meaning of the text. It's about Kohlberg's Stages of Moral Growth. Maybe it's seeing if I have the morals to not make fun of silly people.

I don't. Although I'll be surprised if I don't have a typo of my obn somewhere in this post. But at least I don't have thrie in a single paragraf.

4 comments:

Obliviocelot said...

I bet what happened was they scanned the text and then tried to convert the picture file into a font and it just converted poorly. That's pretty common.

dubby said...

Cathryn, arn't thay supposed to spelcheck when they are dun?

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Or perhaps they used a voice-to-text converter. In any event, they obviously didn't use a proof-reader. I've noticed that the entire world has completely lost interest in something called "quality", as well as "competence". I'm surrounded by...

Obliviocelot said...

No, it was a program that recognizes text from picture files. Look at the typos again. They said "die" instead of "the." That's not an audio mistake or even just a typo because someone was typing faster than thinking. But if you think about what the word "the" looks like, you can kind of see a computer reading "die" instead. And it probably was spell-checked, but "die" is a real word, so spell-check didn't catch it.