Sunday, March 28, 2010

Two Trips

Wow. So this post totally can't beat my mom's on her blog. But I took a trip and a half this past week too.

On Thursday we drove down to Salt Lake City. We left at 6am. Ew! I rode down with my friend Allison (we did the Humanities tour together last year). Three vans went and I king of wanted to go in one of the vans the students were driving, but she wanted to go with the teacher. Because really, college students will stay up all night even when they know they're making a four hour drive the next morning. She knew the teacher would be more awake.

So down we went to Salt Lake. We went to visit the Museum of Art. It was okay. This whole entire trip reminded me a lot of Europe, except like a tenth the magnitude. We had similar assignments we had in Europe. But the museum as a whole didn't even compare. Our tour guide was all excited about the random artists most of whom I had never even heard of. The only ones I'd heard of were Church and Moran. And of course William Bliss Baker but that's only because I chose to primarily focus on him (he only drew like four paintings in his whole life) because his "Fallen Monarchs" is one of the most beautiful paintings I've ever seen. But anyway, this museum was small and a lot of the art was kind of sad. Meh. I'm too spoiled. This is the only museum I've ever been to where I actually enjoyed the modern art section more than the older stuff.

Anyway, we went to the "Creamery on Ninth" for "dinner" although we all got ice cream cones. They were gigantic too, it was great. We had to sit there and eat while our teacher ran to Little Caesers to pick up our pizzas for dinner. Dessert before dinner. Yum!

We spent less time at the museum and in Provo than we did in the car. I took a bunch of pictures in the car because we were really bored. Allison, Kathryn and I were all in the back seat. Kathryn slept pretty much the whole way down and the whole way back so we started taking pictures of her sleeping and zoomed in on her face. Then she woke up, told us she hated us, and went back to sleep.

We played the alphabet game. It was over in like five minutes which was kind of sad. We went backwards and we blamed it on that.

I have pictures. But none are really that great and I'm too lazy to post them on here at the moment. We got back to Rexburg at night so it didn't even feel like a real day since I didn't even see my own town in the light.

I don't even remember Friday. I had only one class. I think I didn't really do anything productive (except we made lasagna, it was soooo yummy!) thinking I'd accomplish everything Saturday. Except Friday night my friend called and asked if I wanted to go with her and her family to the fair in Pocatello Saturday. I totally accepted since it would get me out of Rexburg. So yesterday we drove down to Pocatello which is like an hour and a half drive.

It was worth it. I had to pay a dollar to get into the fair. But I got a free knife fancy paring knife from the cooking show as well as a free glasses shine/defog treatment thing. We also got to play on these workout machines where you stand on this vibrating surface and it moves your whole body. Weird.

There was a lot of cool stuff there. But all expensive. At the cooking show, they were trying to sell these uber fancy pots and pans. I'll admit, they were incredibly nice and he did a fantastic job showing them off. As he handed out the paper there was the different "sets" of pots and pans you could buy and beside it the price wasn't written (you had to listen to him tell you the price and then write it in). Kelly and I looked and tried to figure out what the prices were before he told us. We knew they'd be expensive. The first set which included four pots/pans and their lids we decided would be around $500 and the "family set" which included about eight pots/pans and their lids plus a cake pan we decided was like $1200. We were wrong. The first set that we thought was $500 was actually $1995 and the second one was actually $2495.

Yeah, I could possibly buy the pans. But then I would have no money for the food that would go in them. Not. A. Chance. But I will admit, they were very very nice cookware. They even gave us the food they cooked and it was fantastic. (chicken, potatoes, carrots (my weak spot), etc.)

We went to Golden Corral for dinner. I hadn't been to Golden Corral for dinner in a while. It's always a family place. I was surprised at how expensive it was. I thought a dinner there was around 7 or 8 bucks. It was over 10! But I got all kinds of amazing food that I haven't eaten in a long time, including steak which was incredible! Every food I got was stuff that I normally wouldn't be able to make or afford. Except the rolls (they have the best rolls though) and dessert brownies which I decided are not nearly as good anymore. They taste to preservative-y. I guess this lack of eating out is making it more obvious when I eat precooked/packaged food. Gross!

Anyway, it's been a fun past few days. Now all I have to do is finish up the last two weeks of school. I'm so excited it's almost over and I'm over half way through with college now! I can't believe how quickly it goes. But really, I'm also obsessing over Disney again. I can't wait to go back! Hopefully my roommates and friends this fall will be as amazing as last fall!

2 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

William Bliss Baker, Moran, and others in the "Hudson River" school (and the Rocky Mountain School) are some of my all-time favorite painters. (Norman Rockwell didn't consider himself a painter, he always insisted that he was an "illustrator", not a painter).

However, the artist at the top of my list has got to be Albert Bierstadt, who, incidentally, was the one who taught William Baker Bliss how to paint scenery!

Bierstadt was a prolific painter, and liked to use the huge wall-sized canvasses, kinda like Rubens did.

Google some of Bierstadts paintings, and I think you'll agree they are true masterpieces.

BTW, Bierstadt Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park is named for Albert Bierstadt. I have some great pictures I took on my hike up to Bierstadt Lake, posted on my blog from last July. Allen even said that he liked the Bierstadt Lake photos the best. There are several postings with photos from my Bierstadt Lake trip.

Go to the link below and scroll down about 1/2 way or a little more, until you get to the post titled, Bierstadt Lake. Of course, ALL the high lakes in the Rocky Mountain park are gorgeous, and I disagree with Bierstadt's critics who said his paintings were too over-done. You can't overdo the Rockies.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

The link to my Bierstadt Lake trip is:

http://kd9la.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html